Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Corn Clumps

Thanksgiving, aside from the many blessings in my life, always makes
me think of corn on the cob. As a little girl my mom would always cut
my corn off the cob for me, and I would beg her to cut it off in giant
clumps. In my mind it was so much more delicious to eat a group of
kernels instead of individual kernels, and I was always amazed at how
the clumps of corn hold each other together.
Perhaps, this is a model for us all as a Christian family.

This summer my husband and I learned first hand what it was like to
have the need to be lifted up by God and held together with His love
shown through our Christian family.
My husband and I are growing our family through adoption. This summer
we were matched with a birthmother who chose to place her baby with us
to be adopted. After three months of multiple trips to the state the
birthparents live in, multiple doctors visits, a false labor, and a
baby girl my husband photographed held and fed the birthparents
changed their mind. They decided to parent the child. Our worst fear
about the adoption journey was realized.

My husband and I returned our baby pink car seat and baby animal
bedding set (complete with little pink squirrels) as fast as possible.
After all, if you rip a band-aid off quickly it will not hurt as
much. At least that is the theory…

We are thankful for the way our Christian family has clumped around us
and God’s love shined through them to hold us together and lift us up
in prayer over the last couple of months. One of the most meaningful
notes we received was from a friend who honestly confessed that she
did not know what to say but was praying for us and thinking about us.

So, where was God’s will in all of this? Honestly, I will never know.
I do know that since we did not adopt this baby girl my husband and I
took a wonderful trip together out west, I found a new passion for
drawing after taking a class with my mom, and one day God will place
our baby in our arms to adopt and do the best we can modeling God’s
unconditional love and grace as we become a family.

You may not eat corn on the cob at your Thanksgiving feast. Corn may
not come to mind at all when you think of this very important fall
holiday. However, when you gather at the table with your family this
year may you not forget what it means to be a part of a Christian
family…
to be honest with other even when it means confessing that you do not
know what to say
to lift each other up in prayer
to clump together showing love and support
to be covered by the sweet sweet Spirit
to praise God

Praise Him in joy.
Praise Him in the ordinary.
Praise Him in grief.
Praise Him in pain.
Praise Him in uncertainty.
Praise Him for His perfect plan.
Praise Him throughout your journey.
Thanks be to God.
May your Thanksgiving be ever so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment