Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Treasure in the Darkness

My parents have been decluttering their home recently. By decluttering, I mean getting rid of all of the items that me and my sister left behind. Now, every time I see my parents I also receive a bag or box of “some things to go through” that they no longer want in their home.
Image
This “masterpiece” is one of my recent “gifts.” I created it in my early elementary school years. Now, when I look at it years later, I am reminded of the unique spiritual journey we each experience and the importance of God’s light for each one of us.
All of us are colorful. We have several characteristics, interests, and talents that make us the individual people we are today. However, we do not live smooth lives. Different events, individuals, and circumstances leave imprints on us. We have cracks of sin, disappointments, and obstacles that can weigh on us so heavily that we forever feel hunched over from the load we bear.
Let us not forget that deep down in the darkness of our lives is the light of Christ!
Image

“For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed” (2 Corinthians 4:6-9).
God created light, God’s light lives in us, and God calls us to share this light with all. We often dwell on how weak and meager, how unfortunate, how burdened we are, but we house God’s light!
During times when you find yourself perplexed, afflicted, persecuted and struck down remember that God’s light is always there breaking through the darkness! May you let the world see this treasure in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment