Friday, December 7, 2012

Raining deep thoughts

When I was in high school one of my favorite little books was titled Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey. One of Jack's thoughts was about a child in the rain. Jack suggests that you try telling a child that the rain is actually God crying, and it was probably something the child did. This always cracked me up. I found it so funny I tried the line out on my niece a year or so ago, but she was too smart (even at age six) to fall for such a story.
Even though I did not get a reaction from my niece I still feel compelled to tell my 30 year old husband when it is raining that God is crying over something he did! I normally just get an eye roll from him.
Although this is an entertaining "Deep Thought" I often do think of the image of God crying when it is raining outside. I think about a compassionate and loving God crying along with His people he created on His planet over broken relationships, illnesses, disappointments, loneliness, and despair. Then it occurs to me that God does not necessarily have to cry for only things that bring Him sorrow. What about the tears of joy? After all, I adore the rain. Listening to it brings me peace and joy.
So, what would cause God to cry tears of joy? Perhaps, when one of His children accepts Him into his or her heart and life. Maybe, the water works come when someone realizes God answered a prayer or realizes that God had a perfect plan all along. I bet those tears of joy even come over little things too like when one of us waters a garden, sings a song that praises God, bakes a dish for someone to sick or tired to bake themselves, or reads a Bible Story to a child. So, what are you gonna do to make God cry today. I bet He is counting on a tearjerker of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment